So, your bamboo toothbrush days are over, right? We are happy to let you know it’s easy and it takes little time to dispose of your old bamboo toothbrush. On top of it, we assure you’ll have fun returning it to the earth properly.
Get ready, we’ll show you how to do it step by step.
You already know our motto: Reduce waste and plastic. Go green. Go blue. We also care deeply for reusing and recycling.
So, let’s get you in the mood for some cool DIY eco-conscious steps to a proper disposal of your Bam&Boo toothbrush.
We remind you that our handle is made out of 100% biodegradable bamboo and the bristles are made from nylon 6 bpa free.
The different parts of your bamboo toothbrush can be disassembled. Are you all set to go?
Step 1 - Remove the toothbrush bristles
- Find a nice spot in the kitchen’s table, in a corner of the balcony or porch to carry out this task. Smile all along!
- Get a pair of pliers or tweezers, a tray or a kitchen towel to better confine the removed bristles and avoid them spreading out;
- Pull the bristles out of the head - TIP: don’t try to pull too many in one go. Always remember rush is the enemy of perfection. We recommend making a slight rolling movement when pulling. Much easier, right?
- When bristles removal is complete, you’ll end up with a lightweight pile, which should go into your plastic recycling;
- TIP: Better than throwing the small bristles into the big plastic recycling bin, where they get easily lost in the recycling process, we suggest reusing a plastic bottle (hey, don’t crinkle your face, it’s an ecobrick J) to keep all the plastic waste tight in one place ready to be correctly discarded.
Step 2 – Dispose of the bamboo handle
Now we want to make sure that your 100% biodegradable handle bristle-free breaks down naturally in the environment. You should know that your bamboo handle can take either a few weeks or some years to biodegrade, because bamboo’s decomposition depends on several conditions: soil, temperature and atmosphere. But we can guarantee you that it will get back to earth entirely. And you’ll feel your positive impact!
Take note of your options:
- Dispose it in your local commercial composter, for a faster decomposition;
- Put it in your home composter, if you have one;
- Throw it into your garden or fireplace, if you are lucky to have one;
- Go for a stroll in your city park and stick it in the soil;
- TIP: Break the bamboo handle into small pieces with a hammer or saw before burying it in the soil. This will speed up decomposition.
Step 3 – Reuse or upcycle your bamboo toothbrush
If you choose to give a second life to your Bam&Boo toothbrush, this might as well be your Step 1. Because there are so many useful and cool things you can do. Check out a few:
- Cleaning tricky spots, like corners, tiles, basins, etc;
- Marking your herb garden, writing the name in the handle and sticking it in the soil;
- Using the bristle-free handle creatively in arts and crafts with your children.
Stay put for more ideas soon. In the meantime, save this Tip: Boil your worn toothbrush in hot water to sterilize it and make sure you book it for its second life.
Last but not the least…
Just a quick reminder that all our packaging materials are biodegradable, such as envelope without plastic, carton without glue and protection bag made of PLA (polylactic acid which is biodegradable and derived from renewable resources such as corn or cassava starch).
So, basically your bamboo toothbrush’s recycling journey starts as soon as you receive your toothbrush subscription comfortably at your door. Awesome, don’t you think?
Feel free to leave your comments below. We would love to hear your ideas and tips and join our community.